Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Day Two - Eric

My painting hero, Stephen Early, paints the most amazing, sensitive, tiny figure paintings I have ever seen.  I can't begin to describe how these make me feel but I'll try: they make me vibrate with excitement.  I love the translucent passages and the tender little daubs of warm pink on the warmest parts of the figure.  He's been working on a series of 6 X 8's in oil.  Here's one of them: Rita ~ Stephen Early.  He is such an accomplished artist and I admire his work very much.

For the daily painting challenge, I will be working large and small.  Today I tried a tiny figure painting and found it to be extremely difficult working with pastel paper.  The dips in the paper look ridiculous on a small scale piece but that is what I had to work with.  I'm not even going to attempt an oil painting of that delicacy until I get some smaller brushes.

Here is my contribution for the day, done from a photo from last night's figure drawing session:



I don't think the photo does it justice. So here's a doodle I actually completed last night during the session. I like it much better.




No comments:

Post a Comment